Friday 12 July 2013

Bibimbap

Can you start a post with a side note? Well, I will either way.

side note

Yesterday, I finally received my degree results and I am now a graduate! It's been a long three years, but it's been worth it. So yeah, just gonna give myself a little pat on the back there.

I think for a lot of us who come abroad to study, there is this intense fear of mediocrity. The feeling that, after all the hoohah of the big send off, big hugs and lots of good luck wishes that you fail everyone hoping the best for you. So, I'm thankful that I've made it to the end, in one piece and quite pleased with the outcome.

I've learnt a lot. And it's been good. 

Onwards and upwards.

/side note

On a more food themed note, Pris and Adeline also received their grades on the same day, so we decided to head to Newcastle for a day out and a nice meal.

Pris took us to a Korean restaurant called Mannaza. It's a little place hidden behind some trees on one of the streets off Chinatown. There's quite a funny story about how Pris had trouble finding it the first time - but I won't go into that. The signage was pretty obscure, there was a big neon OPEN sign, but like I said, it was behind some trees haha.

I thought that the food was quite good, so I think it's definitely worth a visit if you fancy something different and you've not had Korean food before.


Gyoza looking dumplings that Adeline ordered. Nicely cooked, crispy pan-fried bottom and tasty spring onion-y insides - also really great with the somewhat vinegary soy sauce.


Pris ordered her favourite rice cakes, they were really yummy and reminded me a little of chee cheong fan - kind of. It seems that every year just before I return home, my brain craves Malaysian food quite intensely. Not quite so interesting a fact but nevertheless, it is true.


The place was pretty quiet, we were one of only three tables scattered about the restaurant. Although, it was late afternoon on a Wednesday, so I guess it's not really a peak hour.


Bibimbap! I remember eating this for the first time at a hawker centre near where I went to college. It's yummy and moreish. Usually served in a really hot stone bowl that keeps everything nice and hot. It's served with a chilli pepper paste that you mix in with the rice, meat and vegetables. I highly recommend it! Especially, if you love rice like I do haha.


Pris and Adeline :) 

I think this year, Pris is the only Malaysian I have spoken to, in person, on a regular basis. Adeline is from Brunei, and is super hyper and fun, but I don't see her as often because she's always busy with dance rehearsals and the like. 

I am thankful that after meeting Pris via Facebook through a friend of a friend (and eventually meeting in person, quite unexpectedly, on the side of a road in Middlesbrough), we are now, friends in our own right. It's been a great two years and may there be many more coffee dates, flatmate dinners and late night Ferrero Rochers.
Mannaza Korean Restaurant
5-7 Taylors and Tanners Court
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
NE1 5XD

No comments:

Post a Comment