Wednesday 21 August 2013

Homecooked

Home cooking is the best. I'm sure many of you like home cooking too... maybe? Hopefully? :D It just takes me back to being at school and lunch would be ready to eat when you got off school 1pm. Most schools here have a 'morning session' and an 'afternoon session', simply because there aren't enough classrooms. Depending on the year you're in, you go to school at different hours. 

Morning session starts at 7.30am - which is fine when I think about it now, I mean six hours of school isn't really that hard, but it used to feel like ages and I'd be starving by the time I got home, so it was great to have the smell of food wafting in the air as you walked into the cool house, out of the blazing sun. 


This is kind of typical of what my mom would make. Simple and tasty dishes that are all eaten with rice. We had fried fish with chilli, ginger and soy sauce (this recipe seems the most similar), and we had Yau Mak (I'm not sure what the name is in English but it's a kind of lettuce) fried with garlic and a bit of ginger.



We often also had omelettes! They aren't really like the usual kind, which are quite creamy and buttery - these are a bit more cooked, and fluffier in a way. Maybe you can call it a Chinese Omelette? Haha I don't know. It's kind of similar to a Fritata in texture but not as much filling is mixed in. My mom made this one with onions and chilli :D



Lunch at home is usually a plate of rice, soup (Old Cucumber Soup in this case - old as in older, not as in out of date, it's really nice actually and one of my favourites :D), and a variety of dishes, the brown plate is a kind of tofu fish cake and the little white bowl is pig knuckles in a kind of stew (it's not black, it's just kind of how the picture came out haha).

So yeah, we eat rice all the time, or at least my family does. Lunch and dinner, sometimes even breakfast although not very often. It's great eating at home - it just makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment