Sunday 18 August 2013

English Treats

Last Sunday, was the last time I'd be in the boro for a while. Which kinda makes me sad, but it's okay, because I also get to be home. So, it's a little bittersweet. Like chocolate. Mmm. Chocolate. 

Anyway, Dan's mom made all her English specialties for me to try before I went home, I thought that was really nice of her (plus, I had been hearing about all of these treats from Dan, for ages!) So it was great to get to try them, and talk to Dan about what he grew up eating :) 


Dan's mom icing the Lemon Drizzle Cake :D Ah it was so good. The lemon drizzle that ran throughout the cake was so zesty, and it just made the cake really nice to have with a cup of coffee or something. It was light and fluffy. So good. 


How great does this cook book look? :D I like things like that. You can just picture Dan's mom, using the classic recipes, year in, year out; making special dishes for her family. Cooking for people you love is, I think, the best thing in the world.

Dan's mom gets her recipe for Rice Pudding from here, which she made, but I forgot to take a picture of because I was busy eating it haha. Traditional rice pudding is really nice, creamy and rich, with a lovely vanilla fragrance from the vanilla pods she used in the cream. 


And then there was quiche! This quiche is pretty freaking great. I'm not even a huge fan of quiche, but this one just goes down in history as a pretty special quiche. Dan's mom also made this at Christmas or was it Boxing Day? Either way, it was just as good this time as I remembered it. It wasn't too creamy, or custardy, and had just the right amount of ham and onions. YUM.


Look at the spread! I am so lucky.


Quiche with a bit of boiled new potatoes on the side.


Dan and I sat down and tucked in, and I relished that moment just sitting, having a nice meal that was made with such care and attention. 


The next morning I was off, my long road home began, and as with any journey, you need a good breakfast to get you going :) I had a scone with cream and jam for breakfast. It was great, I love scones, and it doesn't really get any more English than that. It was crumbly but didn't just fall apart in your hand. Really nice with a glass of milk. 

You may be wondering, 'Whut? Milk? Are you still a child, Mabel?' 

Well no, but I like having milk with things like biscuits and sandwiches because I feel the milkiness in both the milk and the food item is enhanced! That not weird, right... Right? Yes, it is weird? :( Okay. 

Anyway, special thanks to Dan's mom who went out of her way to make me feel comfortable and welcomed. So yeah, very grateful for that. Thanks, Karen! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment