Wednesday 9 October 2013

Dragon-i

I really think we're spoiled for choice with food in Malaysia. It's sad to say I haven't cooked a lot since I've been back, but I've been able to to catch-up on all the food I've missed. Which is its own kind of nice.

I love noodles. Okay, I love all food but you know, NOODLES. It has a special place in my heart. Yes, sometimes noodle dishes can all look pretty similar but they never taste the same and that's what I like about it. We went to Dragon-i for dinner the other night. Just had a great time hanging out with my family. Eatingeatingeating.


I ordered the Taiwanese style fried chicken with La Mian. Dan and I have been searching for the Taiwanese style fried chicken recipe for ages, and I found a couple that seem the most authentic. One recipe is from the brilliant Rasa Malaysia and the other is from Micky's Favorite Taiwanese recipes - the latter seems like a really good one, because the pictures look closest to what I've seen sold at restaurants :)

I like going to Dragon-i because you get to see into the kitchen - they usually have a glass wall and you can see the chefs making the noodles and all the dumplings. It's really very cool. I thought about taking a picture but I didn't want to distract them from their work. So I just watched, but if you've not seen how they make them, there are loads of videos on YouTube. And well, even if you have, it's nice to watch anyway - it seems quite therapeutic to work on something like that and it's hypnotising to watch them make the noodles.

This is the funniest and clearest video I've found on how La Mian is made - it's Gordon Ramsay on his Gordon Ramsay Cookalong Live show, in which he gets his butt kicked by La Mian. Haha.



Xiao Long Pao! This is also something I really missed having. Yummy little pork dumplings with the broth that develops just from the pork filling being steamed inside the dumpling. And of course, everyone has it with a bit of vinegar and a few thin slices of ginger. So. Good. 


So yeah, if anyone can recommend any other La Mian places, I'd love to try them out :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment